Maytag Newton Washer problem – Basket spins, but water doesn’t pump out
Check for a broken or worn pump belt. Replace as described in section 7-10 below.
With the machine in “spin,” look at the pump pulley beneath the machine with a mirror. If it is spinning, but water is not pumping, check for a clog in the hose between the tub and pump. If there is no jam, replace the pump as described in section 7-4 below.
If the pump is not turning, see section 7-4 below.
Maytag Newton Washer problem – Washer fills, but doesn’t agitate and/or spin
1) Check the imbalance/lid switch (Section 7-6 below) for continuity. Check also the speed selector switch (if any), the water level and water temperature switches for proper operation as described in “Problems Common to All Brands.”
NOTE: If any of the selector switches on the console are only partially pushed in, it may cause improper function.
2) Check for a broken or badly worn belt. (Section 7-10 below)
3) Check the motor rollers and tension springs for damage and the motor roller tracks for jamming. (Section 7-10) below Any of these might cause the belt to be loose.
4) Check the appropriate timer circuits for continuity. (See “Problems Common to All Brands.”)
5) Remove the belts and see if the motor will start. If you hear the motor buzzing, but it doesn’t start in either or both directions, test the capacitor (if any) and starting switch as described in “Problems Common to All Brands” and section and 7-8 below. If it does start with the load removed, turn the pump and transmission pulleys by hand, in both directions, to see which is locked up. If the pump is locked, see section 7-4 below. If the transmission pulley is locked, see section 7-9 below. Note that the transmission pulley will normally be very stiff when turning it in the clockwise direction, as you look at the bottom of the washer.
6) If the washer spins but does not agitate, check the agitator splines as described in section 7-11 below. If they are not the problem, the transmission needs to be replaced; see section 7-9 below.